« Snow Blues? | Main | Broadband »

ADSL Frenzy

It's been two weeks since I started using ADSL. Yeah, I'm quite happy with the broadband connection. It's fast enough to make my ISDN days look like ones of ascetic practices.

But there was a problem since the change to ADSL: My IE6 froze whenever checking updates at the Windows Update site. Besides, I couldn't submit forms via my browser at some websites. At first I thought there was something wrong with my IE settings, which turned out not to be the case. So I figured the connection might have some uploading problems. I went to dslreports.com and tested my line speed. The results were surprising. 13 kbps?! What the heck is this upload speed?

Not knowing what to do, I searched the Net for solutions, and found there were some connection tune-up freeware programs. I downloaded one of them and ran it. I don't know what it actually changed, but it worked. Seems like my current upload speed is around 600 kbps. No problem with Windows Update. Wow.

In the process, I learned a lot about ADSL. I don't understand what "MTU" and "RWIN" really are, even what they stand for, but it's always exciting to learn new things.

Yes, this is what I've been doing for the last couple of days without blogging. Oops, if I hadn't updated my blog today, I would have had more losses than wins (4-5) so far this month. That should be avoided. ;)

Comments

You may want to try whatis.com - it's a great website for definitions of technical terms.

Wow, it's really a great site! Thanks, Gen.